- Miller, J. 2019. How Trump’s wall could alter our biological identity forever. Scientific American.
- Bird, B., R. Peters and J. R. B. Miller. 2018. Border wall disrupts more than people’s lives. Santa Fe New Mexican.
- Miller, J. R. B., J. D. C. Linnell, V. Athreya, and S. Sen. Human-Wildlife Conflict in India: Addressing the Source. 2017. Economic & Political Weekly LII:23-25.
- Miller, J. R. B. and Oswald J. Schmitz. In revision. From landscape of fear to landscape of coexistence: applying spatial predator-prey interaction theory to understand and reduce carnivore-livestock conflict. Biological Conservation.
- Wilkinson, C., A. McInturff, J. R. B. Miller, V. Yovovich, K. Gaynor, K. Calhoun, H. Karandikar, J. Martin, P. Parker-Shames, A. Shawler, A. Van Scoyoc, J. Brashares. 2019. Ecological framework for contextualizing carnivore-livestock conflict. Conservation Biology (in press).
- Baghai, M.*, J. R. B. Miller*, L. J. Blanken, H. T. Dublin, K. H. Fitzgerald, P. Gandiwa, K. Laurenson, J. Milanzi, A. Nelson, and P. Lindsey. 2018. Models for the collaborative management of African protected areas. Biological Conservation 218:73-82. *Shared first authorship | Access.
- Begg, C., J. R. B. Miller, and K. Begg. 2018. Effective implementation of age restrictions increases selectivity of sport hunting of the African lion. Journal of Applied Ecology 55:139-146 | Access.
- Lindsey, P., J. R. B. Miller*, L. S. Petracca, L. Coad, A. J. Dickman, K. H. Fitzgerald, M. V. Flyman, P. J. Funston, P. Henschel, S. Kasiki, K. Knights, A. J. Loveridge, D. W. Macdonald, R. L. Mandisodza-Chikerema, S. Nazerali, A. J. Plumptre, R. Stevens, H. W. Van Zyl, L. Hunter. 2018. The price of protection: More than $1 billion needed annually to secure Africa’s protected areas with lions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 115:788-796. *Shared first authorship | Access.
- Miller, J. R. B., R. T. Pitman, G. K. H. Mann, A. K. Fuller, and G. A. Balme. 2018. Lions and leopards show no spatial, temporal or demographic consequences of intraspecific competition. Journal of Animal Ecology 87:1709-1726 | Access.
- Published article in Panthera blog on Animal Selfies as Research
- Pekor, A., J. R. B. Miller, M. V. Flyman, S. Kasiki, K. M. Kesch, S. Miller, K. Uiseb, V. van der Merve, P. Lindsey. 2018. Fencing Africa’s protected areas: costs, benefits, and management issues. Biological Conservation 229:67-75. | Access.
- Peters, R., W. J. Ripple, C. Wolf, M. Moskwik, G. Carreón-Arroyo, G. Ceballos, A. Córdova, R. Dirzo, P. R. Ehrlich, A. D. Flesch, R. List, T. E. Lovejoy, R. F. Noss, J. Pacheco, J. K. Sarukhán, M. E. Soulé, E. O. Wilson, J. R. B. Miller and >3,000 scientist signatories from 43 countries. 2018. Nature divided, scientists united: U.S.-Mexico border wall threatens biodiversity and binational conservation. 2018. BioScience 68:740-743 (free).
- Rogan, M., J. R. B. Miller, P. Lindsey, J. W. McNutt. Socioeconomic drivers of illegal bushmeat hunting in a Southern Africa savanna. 2018. Biological Conservation 226:24-31 | Access.
- van Eeden*, L.M., Eklund*, A., Miller*, J.R.B., Vincent Lopez-Bao, J., Chapron, G., Cejtin, M.R., Crowther, M.S., Dickman, C.R., Frank, J., Krofel, M., Macdonald, D.W., McManus, J., Meyer, T.K., Middleton, A.D., Newsome, T.M., Ripple, W.J., Ritchie, E.G., Schmitz, O.J., Stoner, K.J., Tourani, M., Treves*, A. 2018. The best available science for preventing carnivore predation on livestock. PLOS Biology 16:e2005577 (free). *Shared first authorship.
- Balme, G. A., J. R. B. Miller, R. T. Pitman, and L. T. B. Hunter. 2017. Caching reduces kleoptoparasitism in a solitary, large felid. Journal of Animal Ecology 86:634-644 | Access.
- Feature article by the BBC Earth
- Balme, G., R. Pitman, H. Robinson, J. R. B. Miller, P. Funston, and L. Hunter. 2017. Leopard distribution and abundance is unaffected by interference competition with lions. Behavioral Ecology 28:1348-1358 | Access.
- Schmitz, O. J., J. R. B. Miller, A. M. Trainor, B. Abrahms. 2017. Toward a community ecology of landscapes: predicting multiple predator-prey interactions across geographic space. Ecology 98:2281-2292 | Access.
- Miller, J. R. B., K. J. Stoner, M. R. Cejtin, T. K. Meyer, A. D. Middleton, and O. J. Schmitz. 2016. Tools for human-carnivore coexistence: a quantitative assessment of techniques for reducing large carnivore depredation of livestock. Wildlife Society Bulletin 40:806–815 | Access.
- Miller, J.R.B., Balme, G.A., Lindsey, P.A., Loveridge, A.J., Becker, M.S., Begg, C.M., Brink, H., Dolrenry, S., Hunt, J.E., Jansson, I., Macdonald, D.W., Mandisodza-Chikerema, R.L., Cotterill, A.O., Packer, C., Rosengren, D., Stratford, K., Trinkel, M., White, P.A., Winterbach, C., Winterbach, H.E.K., Funston, P.J. 2016. Aging traits and sustainable trophy hunting of African lions. Biological Conservation 201:160-168 | Access.
- Miller, J. R. B., Y. V. Jhala, and J. Jena. 2016. Livestock losses and hotspots of attack from tigers and leopards in Kanha Tiger Reserve, central India. Regional Environmental Change 16:17-29 | Access.
- Miller, J. R. B., Y. V. Jhala, and O. J. Schmitz. 2016. Human perceptions mirror realities of carnivore attack risk for livestock: implications of mitigating human-carnivore conflict. PLOS One 11:e0162685 (free).
- Press release by the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies
- Miller, J. R. B. 2015. Mapping attack hotspots to mitigate human-carnivore conflict: Approaches and applications of spatial predation risk modeling. Biodiversity and Conservation 24:2887-2911 | Access.
- Miller, J. R. B., Y. V. Jhala, J. Jyoti, and O. J. Schmitz. 2015. Landscape-scale accessibility of livestock to tigers: implications of spatial grain for modeling predation risk to mitigate human-carnivore conflict. Ecology and Evolution 5:1354-1367 | Access.
- Miller, J. R. B., J. M. Ament, and O. J. Schmitz. 2013. Fear on the move: predator hunting mode predicts variation in prey mortality and plasticity in prey spatial response. Journal of Animal Ecology 83:214-222 | Access.
- Miller, J. R. B. 2010. Survey of Western Tragopan, Koklass Pheasant, and Himalayan Monal populations in the Great Himalayan National Park, Himachal Pradesh, India. Indian Birds 6:60-65.
- Miller, J. R. B. 2009. New vocalizations by the Koklass pheasant Pucrasia macrolopha. International Journal of Galliforms Conservation 1:56-57 | Access.
- Miller, J. R. B. 2014. Live and let live. Frontline | PDF.
- Miller, J. R. B. 2013. Reading the Bones: In the Field with a Depredation Detective. Sage Magazine.
- Miller, J. R. B. Sweat Behind the Stripes: A Week with 'Project Tiger' in Rajaji. Sanctuary Asia 31(4):58-61. 2011.
- Miller, J. R. B. The Pheasant Sings Once More: Pheasant Conservation in the Great Himalayan National Park. Sanctuary Asia 29(1):46-49. 2009.
"Trust, respect, cultural sensitivity, and empathy are crucial elements of the professional relationship that must be clearly conveyed, not only as part of the human-to-human connection, but as part of the professional process of conflict mitigation."
- Miller et al. 2017,
Economic & Political Weekly