Careers in conservation
The wildlife on our planet need dedicated, innovative conservationists more than ever. Below are some friendly tips based on my own experience and job boards to help you find your dream job in the field of conservation.
society of conservation biology
I've been a member of the Society of Conservation Biology (SCB) since 2010 and was a board member of the Asia Section (2017-2020). SCB consists of a diverse community of scientists and practitioners, and provides a supportive environment where early career conservationists especially can obtain travel funding, speaking opportunities, mentoring and the open-minded, open-hearted perspective that SCB members bring in advancing conservation.
applying to grad school in ecology and conservation science
Let's face it: applying to grad school is hard. Below is an overview of the process that helped me gain acceptance into the PhD program at the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies. This advice is tailored particularly for international students who may not be familiar with the US system of schooling and communication. Be sure to search online for other suggestions and perspectives, especially about visas and funding.
Advice from others:
- Advice for Grad Students - Practical reflections from Dr. Brashares at UC Berkeley ESPM
- Some Modest Advice for Graduate Students - Motivation from Dr. Sterns at Yale EEB to take with a grain of salt
- Reply to Sterns: Some Acynical Advice for Graduate Students - More (positive) advice from Dr. Huey
- The Graduate School Essay I Wish I Had Written - A sample application essay by Dr. Thomson at the Claremont Colleges
- Professor Singer's Advice to Prospective Students - General tips from a professor at the University of Texas
- Sell Yourself: Guidance for Developing Your Personal Statement for Graduate School Applications - Tricks on writing your application essays and representing yourself well
- Statement of Purpose Guidelines - Quick guidelines for writing a strong Statement of Purpose by Anthony O. Okobi
- Writing Personal Statements for Graduate School - Things to do and not to do and sample application essays by Pat Sokolove