I enjoy translating science for lay audiences and freelance as a science writer, editor and web designer.
Websites for Scientific Outreach and Education
- Aging The African Lion - Outreach site aimed at strengthening sustainability of lion trophy hunting. Includes self-test, training and pocket guides to assist hunters, managers, researchers and conservationists. Based on our scientific study on age determination in African lions published in Biological Conservation (July 2016).
- Network for Conserving Central India - Information and resources produced for and by conservation practitioners, managers and researchers working in the Central Indian Highlands.
- Central Indian Landscape Symposium - Website for the Central Indian Landscape Symposium (CILS) in December 2016.
- Kanha-Pench Landscape Symposium - Website for the Kanha-Pench Landscape Symposium (KPLS) held in February 2014.
- Schmitz Lab at Yale - Lab website for Oswald Schmitz and his students at the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies.
Magazine & Blog Articles on Human-Wildlife Conflict and Carnivore Ecology
- Miller, J., J. Linnell, V. Athreya, S. Sen. Nov 2017. Human-Wildlife Conflict in India: Addressing the Source. Economic and Political Weekly.
- Miller, J. Aug 2016. Animal Selfies as Research. Field Notes (Panthera blog).
- Miller, J. Aug 2016. How to Age a Lion. Field Notes (Panthera blog).
- Miller, J. Nov 2015. Tiger vs. Cow: Risk Models Help Beat the Odds. Conservation India.
- Miller, J. May 2015. Compensation for Coexistence - Lessons from Kanha. Conservation India.
- Miller, J. Mar 2015. Mapping tiger attack hotspots to reduce conflict. Conservation Corridor.
- Miller, J. Mar 2015. Tools for saving tigers. Yale F&ES blog.
- Miller, J.R.B. June 2014. Live and let live. Frontline. View original article with photo gallery (make a free account to access) or download PDF.
- Miller, J.R.B. Jan 2013. Reading the Bones: In the Field with a Depredation Detective. Sage Magazine.
- Miller, J.R.B. Aug 2012. Following the Hunt: Tracking Livestock Kills to Reduce Villager's Losses in India. Scientists Without Borders Blog.
- Miller, J.R.B. 2011. Sweat Behind the Stripes: A Week with 'Project Tiger' in Rajaji. Sanctuary Asia 31(4):58-61.
Magazine & Blog Articles on Birds
- Miller, J. Mar 2015. Annual Changes in Hummingbird Migration Revealed by Birders’ Sightings. Cornell Lab of Ornithology Blog.
- Miller, J. Mar 2015. Which Came First: The Cavity or the Cup? Cornell Lab of Ornithology Citizen Science Blog.
- Miller, J. Feb 2015. One Backyard Hummingbird Becomes Two Species. Cornell Lab of Ornithology Blog.
- Miller, J. Jan 2015. Using the new eBird Targets app to find Tropical Kingbirds in Puerto Vallarta. Cornell Lab of Ornithology Blog.
- Miller, J. Jan 2015. How Do Tired Birds Choose Where to Stop During Migration? Cornell Lab of Ornithology Blog.
- Miller, J.R.B. 2009. The Pheasant Sings Once More: Pheasant Conservation in the Great Himalayan National Park. Sanctuary Asia 29(1):46-49.
Lay Summaries of Scientific Articles for the Yale Environment Review
- Miller, J. July 2013. Orchids flourish with assisted migration. Yale Environment Review.
- Miller, J. May 2013. Invasive species follow in human wake. Yale Environment Review.
- Miller, J. Apr 2013. Friendliness linked to longer lives. Yale Environment Review.
- Miller, J. Feb 2013. Insect species with specialized diets may weather climate change after all. Yale Environment Review.
- Miller, J. Dec 2012. Smarter than the average bear: bears use nightfall to avoid hunters. Yale Environment Review.
- Miller, J. Nov 2012. Wildlife going to the dogs: domestic dog presence limits deer distribution. Yale Environment Review.